Show HN: Breathwork App for Endurance Athletes https://ift.tt/IVPCfLy

Show HN: Breathwork App for Endurance Athletes Hi, I had a problem of how to get into a proper shape again after quitting smoking after 17 years, where lungs of mine were the main bottleneck. I was therefore inclined to find a solution that would help me to systematically improve my breathing pace, but since I couldn't find anything related to it, I therefore decided to solve it myself. Being a designer while also having skills of a full-stack developer, I decided to learn Swift and use Apple Watch to design one. In essence, the app is rather similar to how Strava works on Apple Watch: you start your workout session, go through with it, and then have it saved for further analysis. The real difference is that you also set your breathing pace, which will translate your heart rate to breath rate and give relevant haptic cues when to breath in and out. Since I had to build a sampler to WatchOS, I also experimented with trying the app to generate background music that would be synced to both heart and breathing rates. After scraping on domain audio samples reaching over 300GB, I then used Jupyter/Python and the process of dynamic time warping to group similar sounds to eventually create an audible journey when doing workouts. Currently it only has one track/genre for ambient, but I'm thinking of adding more styles to it soon. The app also allows for fetching all your workout data in CSV though Cloudflare's Workers, if need be. I have been mostly using it when doing my runs. I recently also went through my first half-marathon, where lungs were not the bottleneck anymore, so it seems the app seems to have some merit for people to improve their breathwork. Cheers, Andrus https://breathic.com September 20, 2023 at 02:54PM

Post a Comment

0 Comments